The answer is most definitely YES! In the past, vinyl, in general, got a bad rap when it came to sustainability. G-Floor® wants to set the record straight on whether our vinyl flooring is green and if you can recycle vinyl flooring.
First off, we will be the first to admit there are other environmentally-conscious flooring options available. Natural, more expensive materials like cork, bamboo and hardwood flooring are always going to win the sustainability battle. But consumers choose affordable vinyl flooring for its durability, ease of care and value. And now more than ever, you don’t have to feel guilty about choosing vinyl for your garage flooring, residential flooring, commercial flooring, transit flooring, educational flooring, healthcare flooring, gym flooring and the list goes on.
The Vinyl Institute has been working hard for decades to support initiatives to make vinyl 100% recyclable at the end of its useful life. PVC or Plastic #3 is melted down and vinyl repurposed into many second generation products. The Institute sponsored a survey on vinyl recycling and found some 1 billion+ pounds of pre- and post-consumer vinyl materials are recycled annually in more than one hundred different applications, and that list is growing robustly every year.
Interestingly, the vinyl manufacturing process uses less energy to produce than many other flooring options. PVC resin is derived from natural gas and salt, two products available in abundance in the U.S.
When you purchase G-Floor vinyl flooring rolls and vinyl floor mats, you are also getting these eco-friendly flooring attributes:
- 100% solid polyvinyl product without the use of unknown chemicals and filler products that could harm the environment.
- Manufactured in the USA under strict guidelines and the greenest possible processes.
- We recycle and reuse product shipping boxes and containers.
- G-Floor recaptures and reuses vinyl whenever possible.
- A waterproof, resilient flooring that lasts a long time before needing replacement.
- Low maintenance flooring that installs simply and cleans easily without the use of environmentally-harsh chemicals.
- Free-floating capabilities so you can reposition and reuse vinyl flooring mats, GrowFloor, and GrowWall as you wish.
- Insulating qualities that help save energy and lower utility costs.
So on this April 22nd Earth Day, and on all the other days of the year, protect and enjoy this wonderful planet of our ours. Rest assured knowing G-Floor has you covered and has Mother Earth’s back, too!